Dr T. R. Sharma
Genomics, Bioinformatics and Plant Disease Resistance
Obtained Post Doctorate training on Genome analysis and bioinformatics at University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY, USA.
- Identified and cloned a rice blast resistance gene Pi54 (Pi-kh) using positional cloning approach.
- Developed robust DNA markers tightly linked to Pi54 which is extensively being used to improve many rice varieties in India.
- Mined new alleles Pi54rh and Pi54of from wild rice which provides high degree of resistance to rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae.
- Successfully identified and mapped a novel QTL qSBR11-1 for sheath blight resistance, and identified and functionally validated genes within this QTL region.
- Developed a new approach for cloning Avr-Pi54 gene from Magnaporthe oryzae.
- Contributed to the sequencing of rice, tomato, pigeonpea, Magnaporthe, and Puccinia genomes.
- Associated with the development of two rice varieties Pusa1637 and HPR2880 resistance to the blast fungus.
Understanding molecular basis of plant immunity, decoding genomes of various species and comparative genome analysis among different crops.
Gupta SK, Rai AK, Kanwar SS, Chand D, Singh NK, Sharma TR (2012) The single blast resistance gene Pi54 activates complex defense mechanism in rice. J Exp Bot 63:757-772
Kiran, K., Rawal, H. C., Dubey, H., Jaswal, R., Devanna, B. N……..Sharma, T. R (2016) Draft genome of the wheat rust pathogen (Puccinia triticina) unravels genome-wide structural variations during evolution Genome Biol Evol(2016) doi: 10.1093/gbe/evw197.
International Rice Genome Sequencing Consortium (Matsumoto..A.K. Tyagi...N. K. Singh,.. T R Sharma et al.)(2005) The map-based sequence of the rice genome. Nature 436: 793-800
Sharma TR, Madhav MS, Singh BK, Shanker P, Jana TK, Dalal V, Pandit A, Singh A, Gaikwad K, Upreti HC, Singh NK (2005) High-resolution mapping, cloning and molecular characterization of the Pi-k(h) gene of rice, which confers resistance to Magnaporthe grisea. Mol Genet Genomics 274: 569-578.
- Young Scientist Award (Plant Protection) NAAS (1998), ICAR Young Scientist Award (Crop Sciences) (1999), Prof. Umakant Sinha Memorial Award in Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology, Indian Science Congress Association, 2001; International Technology Award, World Technology Network (2003), DBT National Bioscience Award (2007), NAAS Recognition Award (2008), VASVIK Award (2011), NASI-Reliance Industries Platinum Jubilee Award (2013), JC Bose National Fellow DST (2013), and Prof MGK Menon Lecture Award (NASI) 2016.
- Elected Fellow of Indian National Science Academy, National Academy of Sciences and India National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, New Delhi.