Dr Humira Sonah
Molecular Biology, Molecular Breeding, Genomics, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Visiting Professor (July 2016 – April 2018) at FSAA, University Laval, Quebec, Canada.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Dec2014-July2016) at University Laval, Quebec, Canada.
Identified resistance (R) genes in canola and avirulence (avr) factors in Leptosphaeria maculans through dual-transcriptomic analysis of Host-pathogen over the period of disease development. Characterized haplotypic variations associated with pathogenicity through whole-genome resequencing of P. sojae isolates. Studied aquaporin evolution in Brassica lineages and highlighted the role of TIP3s a class of aquaporin in seed desiccation.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Feb2014-Nov2014) at Missouri University, USA.
Development of high seed oil content and desired fatty acid composition in soybean. Involved in development of integrated omics concepts particularly GWAS, QTL mapping and Genomic Selection in soybean.
Postdoctoral Fellow (July 2012 –Feb2014) at University Laval, Quebec, Canada.
Genome-wide association study (GWAS) and genomic selection (GS) for different traits in soybean. Demonstrated efficiency of GWAS and QTL mapping for the identification of loci governing seed composition traits.
Postdoctoral Fellow (July 2011-July 2012) at University Laval, Quebec, Canada.
Developed a genotyping-by-sequencing (GBS) approach for soybean and subsequently used for GWAS, QTL mapping and GS, and for the characterization of breeding lines from three different breeder groups in Canada.
- Development of improved genotyping-by-sequencing approach for cost-effective high-throughput genotyping in plants
- Demonstrated effectiveness and complementary benefits of GWAS and QTL mapping approaches
- Identified genomic loci governing seed oil and protein content in soybean
- Characterized Canadian soybean germplasm and advanced breeding populations to facilitate genomic selection for agronomical traits
- Developed analytical pipeline for the identification of effector proteins in fungi and oomycetes
- Identified resistance (R) genes in canola and avirulence (avr) factors in Leptosphaeria maculans through the dual-transcriptomic analysis of the Host-pathogen over the period of disease development.
- Identified loci governing nematode resistance in soybean and subsequently utilized for varietal development
- Developed whole genome resequencing resource of Phytophthora sojae isolates
- Identified xylanase inhibitor genes regulating sheath blight resistance in Tetep a Vietnam’s rice cultivar.
- Developed a genome-wide SSR marker resource and highlighted SSR evolution in plants.
Understanding genetic regulation of seed oil and protein content in soybean
Development of informative marker resources for crop plants.
High-throughput sequence analysis, genome assembly and transcriptome profiling.
1. PhytoSciences Award by Sherbrooke University for the year 2015-2016.
2. Faculté des Sciences de l'Agriculture et de l'Alimentation (FSAA) Award by FSAA Laval University, Quebec (QC) Canada for the year 2011 to 2012.
3. Research Excellence Award for postdoctoral research by FSAA Laval University, Quebec (QC) Canada for the Year 2015 to 2016.