Dr Siddharth Tiwari
Plant Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering
- Visited Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane, Australia in the third series of Stewardship training on the aspect of pro-vitamin A (PVA) and iron content analysis in transgenic banana fruit samples under the BIRAC funded banana biofortification collaborative research project during 12th – 17th October, 2015.
- Visited Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane, Australia in the second series of Stewardship training on the aspect of (i) safety, (ii) compliance, (III) containment and confinement, (iv) product identity and (v) quality and sustainability under the BIRAC funded banana biofortification collaborative research project during 24th – 27th August, 2014.
- Visited QUT, Brisbane, Australia in the first Stewardship training on capacity enhancement in banana transformation and regeneration methodology under the BIRAC funded banana biofortification collaborative research project during 10th and 14th December, 2012.
- In the international collaboration, we are working towards the enhancement of pro-vitamin A (PVA) content in banana. Multiple gene constructs from Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia those which are capable of enhancing PVA were transferred in cultivated varieties of Indian Banana. Containment trial for the transgenic banana with high PVA content is being performed by following biosafety guidelines. Promising banana lines will be further evaluated for bioavailability, nutritional and multilocation agronomical trials with other national institutes.
- Gene editing for target banana genes has been initiated for enhancing the synthesis/stability of carotenoids in banana.
- Transgenic wheat lines with low phytic acid (PA) were generated by RNAi mediated silencing of a putative gene belonging to the subfamily of ABCC transporter (TaABCC13).
- Exploring genome editing based approach to modify the identified candidate genes to develop wheat crop with high micronutrient content and bioavailability.
- Marker free transformation procedure for wheat and banana will be explored and developed.
- Two major contributions were derived from my doctoral research. The first one was the expression of cholera toxin B subunit fusion with rabies glycoprotein in peanut/groundnut seed which also demonstrated immunoprotection in mice. It was a step-forward research in the direction to develop plant-seed-based edible vaccine against cholera and rabies (received DR. YSR BioAsia Innovation Young Scientist Award-2010). The second outcome was the expression of insect resistance Cry1EC protein in leaves of peanut which showed complete protection against economical important polyphagous foliage insect tobacco cutworm (Spodoptera litura) (received 97th Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) Young Scientist Award-2010).
Metabolic engineering of staple crops (banana and wheat) for nutritional-enrichment: Banana and wheat are the important staple crops that significantly contribute towards the food security in many developing countries where vitamin A and iron deficiencies are the major problems. Biofortification of these crops for beta-carotene and iron enhancement is being considered by us as a promising, cost-effective and sustainable solution. For this, we are utilizing modern biotechnological approaches like transgenic, cisgenic, depletion of anti-nutrient (by RNAi) and genome editing (by CRISPR-CAS). We are generating new knowledge and implementing the available resources of genomics, bioinformatics, transcriptomics and metabolomics for precise metabolic engineering of the relevant biosynthetic pathways in these two crops. Further, the biofortified crops would be analyzed for nutritional and agronomical performance with the appropriate collaborative efforts in due course of time.
Navneet Kaur, Anshu Alok, Shivani, Pankaj Kumar, Navjot Kaur, Praveen Awasthi, Siddhant Chaturvedi, Pankaj Pandey, Ashutosh Pandey, Ajay K. Pandey and Siddharth Tiwari (2020) CRISPR/Cas9 directed editing of lycopene epsilon-cyclase modulates metabolic flux for β-carotene biosynthesis in banana fruit. Metabolic Engineering 59:76-86 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymben.2020.01.00
Navneet Kaur, Anshu Alok, Shivani, Navjot Kaur, Pankaj Pandey, Praveen Awasthi and Siddharth Tiwari (2018) CRISPR/Cas9 mediated efficient editing in phytoene desaturase (PDS) demonstrates precise manipulation in banana cv. Rasthali genome. Functional & Integrative Genomics. 18:89-99
Navneet Kaur, Ashutosh Pandey, Shivani, Prateek Kumar, Pankaj Pandey, Atul Kumar Kesarwani, Shrikant S Mantri, Praveen Awasthi and Siddharth Tiwari (2017) Regulation of banana phytoene synthase (MaPSY) expression, characterization and their modulation under various abiotic stress conditions. Frontiers in Plant Science. 8:462. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2017.00462.
Kaushal Kumar Bhati, Anshu Alok, Anil Kumar, Jagdeep Kaur, Siddharth Tiwari and Ajay Kumar Pandey (2016) Silencing of ABCC13 transporter in wheat reveals its involvement in grain development, phytic acid accumulation and lateral root formation. Journal of Experimental Botany. 67:4379–4389
Shivani and Siddharth Tiwari (2019) Enhanced Agrobacteirum-mediated transformation efficiency of banana cultivar Grand Naine by reducing oxidative stress. Scientia Horticulturae 246: 675-685View All Publication
Anshu Alok, Siddharth Tiwari, Rakesh Tuli (2019) A bidirectional promoter from Papaya leaf curl virus functions in both monocot and dicot plants. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology, 108:101423
Raja Jeet, Sudhir P Singh, Siddharth Tiwari and Promila Pathak (2018) Wheat TaVIT2D restores phenotype and mediates iron homeostasis during growth of Arabidopsis thaliana in iron-deficient conditions. Plant Physiology Reports 24:24–34
Shivani, Navjot Kaur, Praveen Awasthi1 and Siddharth Tiwari (2018) Identification and expression analysis of genes involved in somatic embryogenesis of banana. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 40:139. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11738-018-2714-8
Sipla Aggarwal, Anil Kumar, Kaushal K. Bhati, Gazaldeep Kaur, Vishnu K. Shukla, Siddharth Tiwari and Ajay K Pandey (2018) RNAi-mediated downregulation of inositol pentakisphosphate kinase (IPK1) in wheat grains decreases phytic acid levels and increases Fe and Zn accumulation. Frontiers in Plant Science. 9:259. doi:10.3389/fpls.2018.00259
Swati Vaish, Praveen Awasthi, Siddharth Tiwari, Shailesh Kumar Tiwari, Divya Gupta, Mahesh Kumar Basantani (2018) In silico genome-wide identification and characterization of glutathione S-transferase gene family in Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek.
Vikrant Sharma, Balram Bhardwaj, Shivani, Ram Kumar Pundir, Siddharth Tiwari (2017) Identification and molecular characterization of endophytic bacterial isolates from Musa rhizomes. IOSR Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering 12:01-05.
Flowerika, Anshu Alok, Jitesh Kumar, Neha Thakur, Ashutosh Pandey, Ajay Kumar Pandey, Santosh Kumar Upadhyay and Siddharth Tiwari (2016) Characterization and expression analysis of phytoene synthase from bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)”. PLoS ONE Oct 3;11(10):e0162443 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0162443
Anshu Alok, Naresh C Sharma and Siddharth Tiwari (2016) Cis-element architectures of the promoter regions and expression pattern of myo-inositol oxygenase (MIOX) genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. International Journal of Agricultural Science and Research. 6:259-266
Anshu Alok, Naresh C Sharma and Siddharth Tiwari (2016) An efficient direct multiple shoot induction using immature and mature embryos of Indian wheat cultivars. International Journal of Bio-Technology and Research. 6:9-16.
Navneet Kaur, Shivani, Ashutosh Pandey and Siddharth Tiwari (2016) Provitamin A enrichment for tackling malnutrition. In: Mohandas S, Ravishankar KV (eds) Banana: Genomics and transgenic approaches for genetic improvement. Springer-Verlag Ltd. Singapore (Invited book chapter): pp 277–299. 10.1007/978-981-10-1585-4_19.
Ashutosh Pandey, Prashant Misra, Anshu Alok, Navneet Kaur, Shivani Sharma, Deepika Lakhwani, Mehar Hasan Asif, Siddharth Tiwari and Prabodh Kumar Trivedi (2016) Genome wide identification and expression analysis of Homeodomain leucine zipper subfamily IV (HDZ IV) gene family from Musa accuminata. Frontiers in Plant Science. 7:20.
Anshu Alok, Harsimran Kaur, Kaushal K Bhati, Jitesh Kumar, Pankaj Pandey, Santosh K Upadhyay, Ashutosh Pandey, Naresh C Sharma, Ajay K Pandey and Siddharth Tiwari (2015) Biochemical characterization and spatio-temporal expression of myo-inositol oxygenase (MIOX) from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Gene. 4:10-19.
Kaushal Kumar Bhati, Sipla Aggarwal, Shivani Sharma, Shrikant Mantri, Sudhir P Singh, Sherry Bhalla, Jagdeep Kaur, Siddharth Tiwari, Joy K Roy, Rakesh Tuli, Ajay K Pandey (2014) Differential expression of structural genes for the late phase of phytic acid biosynthesis in developing seeds of wheat ( Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Science. 224:74-85.
Siddharth Tiwari and Rakesh Tuli (2012) Optimization of factors for efficient recovery of transgenic peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture, 109:111–121.
Siddharth Tiwari (2011) Biofortification: A strategy to enhance nutritional value of staple crops by genetic engineering. Biotech Today, vol.2.
Siddharth Tiwari, Devesh K. Mishra, Krishnappa Chandrasekhar, Pradhyumna K. Singh and Rakesh Tuli (2011) Expression of d-endotoxin Cry1EC from an inducible promoter confers insect protection in peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) plants. Pest Management Science, 67:137-145.
Sribash Roy, Antariksh Tyagi, Siddharth Tiwari, Ankit Singh, Samir V. Sawant, Pradhyumna K. Singh and Rakesh Tuli (2010) Rabies glycoprotein fused with B subunit of cholera toxin expressed in tobacco plants folds into biologically active pentameric protein. Protein Expression and Purification, 70:184-190.
Siddharth Tiwari, Devesh K. Mishra, Sribash Roy, Ankit Singh, P.K. Singh and Rakesh Tuli (2009) High level expression of a functionally active cholera toxin B: rabies glycoprotein fusion protein in tobacco seeds. Plant Cell Reports, 28:1827–1836.
Siddharth Tiwari, Praveen C Verma, Pradhyumna K. Singh and Rakesh Tuli (2009) Plants as bioreactors for the production of vaccine antigens. Biotechnology Advances, 27:449-467.
Siddharth Tiwari and Rakesh Tuli (2009) Multiple shoot regeneration in seed-derived immature leaflets explants of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Scientia Horticulturae, 121:223-227.
Siddharth Tiwari, Devesh K. Mishra, Ankit singh, P.K. Singh and Rakesh Tuli(2008) Expression of a synthetic cry1EC gene for resistance against Spodoptera litura in transgenic peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Plant Cell Reports, 27:1017-1025.
Siddharth Tiwari and Rakesh Tuli (2008) Factors promoting efficient in vitro regeneration from de-embryonated cotyledon explants of Arachis hypogaea L. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture, 92:15-24.
Chandra P. Chaturvedi, Niraj Lodhi, Suraiya A. Ansari, Siddharth Tiwari, Rakesh Srivastava, Samir V. Sawant, and Rakesh Tuli (2007) Mutated TATA-box/TATA binding protein complementation system for regulated transgene expression in tobacco. The Plant Journal, 50:917-925.
Best Poster Award received by Flowerika (SRF) in Chintan symposium - 2018 held on 29th - 30th November 2018 at the National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI), Mohali, India. Title of the poster “Overexpression of phytoene synthase (TaPSY) genes from wheat enhances carotenoid content and antioxidant activity in Arabidopsis thaliana”.
- Best poster award received by Navneet Kaur (SRF) in poster presentation competition in the Har Gobind Khorana Memorial Symposium on “Genes, Genomes & Membrane biology” held on 3rd –5th Dec 2017 at the National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI), Mohali, India. Title of poster “Establishment and application of genome editing towards banana biofortification”.
- First Prize received by Navneet Kaur (SRF) in poster presentation competition in the International BITS Conference on Gene and Genome Regulation (BCGGR-16) held on 18-20th February, 2016 at the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, Rajasthan, India. Title of poster “Identification and characterization of genes involved in carotenoid biosynthesis in banana”.
- First Prize received by Navneet Kaur (SRF) in poster presentation competition in the National Conference on Frontiers in Applied Biotechnology held on 22-23rd December, 2015 at Chandigarh University, Gharuan, Mohali. Title of poster “Phytoene synthase: Role in regulation of carotenogenesis in banana (Musa spp.)”.
- Received Dr. YSR BioAsia Innovation Award - 2010 for Young Scientist. Award was presented by the Andhra Pradesh Governor Shri E.S.L. Narasimhan during the BioAsia conference from 3-6 February, 2010 at Hyderabad.
- Received Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) Young Scientist Award - 2010 in the section of Plant Sciences. Award was presented by the former Indian President Dr. A.P.J. Kalam. Award presentation was held on Kerala University, Thrivananthapurum, during the 97th session of Indian Science Congress from 3-7 Jan., 2010.
- Post Graduate Research Fellowship, awarded by Department of Higher Education, Government of Madhya Pradesh, India for the Session 1999-2001.