Dr Koushik Mazumder
Food Science and Technology, Carbohydrate Chemistry
Post-doctoral research fellow (June 2008-June 2011): Structural characterization of hemicelluloses from lingo-cellulosic biomass at Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, USA.
- Isolation and structural characterization of dietary fibers from Indian millets.
- Our research study for the first time suggested the probable mechanism on in vitro antioxidant potential of millet dietary fibers with respect to their structural characteristics.
- Structural modifications of polysaccharides to improve their film forming and functional properties.
Structural characterization and biological significances of dietary fibers from millets
Structural characterization and biological significances of dietary fibers from millets.
Application of carbohydrates as edible films and coatings
Absence of postharvest treatment, traditional storage on farms, infestation of microorganism and pests, non-availability of processing methods are the responsible factors for the highest rate of postharvest losses in fruit and vegetable in India. Due to limited availability of cold chain facilities especially during storage and transportation, development of films and coatings to prolong the shelf life of fruits and vegetables is the high priority in this research area.
Our research goal is to extract polysaccharides from the secondary agricultural by-products and their modification to improve the functional properties. The nontoxic and biodegradable polysaccharide based composite films and coatings will be utilized to extend the shelf life of fruits and vegetables maintaining their sensory and safety qualities.
Ali U, Bijalwan V, Basu S, Kesarwani A. K, Mazumder K (2017) Effect of β-glucan-fatty acid esters on microstructure and physical properties of wheat straw arabinoxylan films, Carbohydrate Polymers, 161, 90-98.
Bijalwan V, Ali U, Kesarwani A. K, Yadav K, Mazumder K (2016) Hydroxycinnamic acid bound arabinoxylans from millet brans-structural features and antioxidant activity, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 88, 296-305.
Correia M.A.S, Mazumder K*, Brás J.L.A, Firbank S.J, Zhu Y, Lewis R.J, York W.S, Fontes C.M.G.A, Gilbert H.J, The structure and function of an arabinoxylan-specific xylanase, Journal of Biological Chemistry (2011), 286, 22510-22520. (*Contributed equally)
Mazumder K, York W.S, Structural analysis of arabinoxylans isolated from ball milled switchgrass biomass, Carbohydrate Research (2010) 345:2183-2193.
Mazumder K, Sarkar S, Sen A.K, Synthesis of the upstream terminal disaccharide of the O-antigenic polysaccharide of Vibrio cholerae O37, Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry (2012) 31: 673-685.View All Publication
- Best paper presentation award by the ACCTI (Association of Carbohydrate Chemist and Technologist, India) during the Carbohydrate conference-2006, held at Delhi University, New-Delhi, India.
- National Eligibility Test (NET) Fellowship-2000 awarded by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India.
- Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering (GATE 2001; Chemistry) with 96.99 percentile score.