Dr T. R. Sharma
Genomics, Bioinformatics and Plant Disease Resistance
Obtained Post Doctorate training on Genome analysis and bioinformatics at University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY, USA.
Dr. T. R. Sharma has contributed extensively to the improvement of rice for over 26 years. His most significant contributions include, mapping, cloning & functional validation of a new Rice blast (Magnaporthe oryzae) resistance gene Pi-kh (Pi54) from a unique source, which activates complex defense mechanism as demonstrated by microarray analysis. He has also mined two new alleles Pi54rh and Pi54of from wild rice, which are highly resistant to rice blast. He has also successfully mapped a novel QTL qSBR11-1, which has been transferred to Basmati type varieties for imparting resistance to sheath blight. Besides, he has contributed to the sequencing, genome assembly and annotation of 6.7 Mb of rice genome, half arm of chromosome 5 of tomato, and Pigeonpea & Mango genomes. He decoded the genomes of 25 races of wheat rust fungus Puccinia tritician, P. graminis tritici and P. striiformis, and rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. In addition, he succeeded in identifying 786 disease resistance and 167 defense response genes in rice genome for future mining. Dr. Sharma has also developed robust DNA makers tightly linked to blast resistance gene Pi54 which are being used extensively in India and in different countries to improve rice varieties. The resistance lines of mega rice varieties, Pusa Basmati -1, Swarna and BPT5204 and more than 20 regional varieties containing Pi54 gene are at various stages of testing across India. Dr. Sharma has filed six Indian patents. He was associated in the development of two new rice varieties, Pusa 1637 (containing blast resistance gene Pi9 and released for cultivation in Punjab, Haryana and western Utter Pradesh in 2016) and HPR2880 (containing blast resistance gene Pi54 and Pita and released for cultivation in Himachal Pradesh in 2016). Rice blast results in loss of US$ 40.9 million annually in South-East Asia which will be minimized through these resistant varieties.
Understanding molecular basis of plant immunity, decoding genomes of various species and comparative genome analysis among different crops.
Gupta SK, Rai AK, Kanwar SS, Chand D, Singh NK, Sharma TR (2012) The single blast resistance gene Pi54 activates complex defense mechanism in rice. J Exp Bot 63:757-772
Kiran, K., Rawal, H. C., Dubey, H., Jaswal, R., Devanna, B. N……..Sharma, T. R (2016) Draft genome of the wheat rust pathogen (Puccinia triticina) unravels genome-wide structural variations during evolution Genome Biol Evol(2016) doi: 10.1093/gbe/evw197.
International Rice Genome Sequencing Consortium (Matsumoto..A.K. Tyagi...N. K. Singh,.. T R Sharma et al.)(2005) The map-based sequence of the rice genome. Nature 436: 793-800
Sharma TR, Madhav MS, Singh BK, Shanker P, Jana TK, Dalal V, Pandit A, Singh A, Gaikwad K, Upreti HC, Singh NK (2005) High-resolution mapping, cloning and molecular characterization of the Pi-k(h) gene of rice, which confers resistance to Magnaporthe grisea. Mol Genet Genomics 274: 569-578.
The Tomato Genome Consortium (Sato S, Tabata, .... ..A.K. Tyagi... J.P. Khurana.....T.R. Sharma.. ..N.K. Singh...R. Wing.) (2012) The tomato genome sequence provides insights into fleshy fruit evolution. Nature 485: 635-641View All Publication
A) Elected fellow of the national Academies
- Fellow, Indian Nation Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi : 2013
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences (NASI) Allahabad : 2008
- Fellow, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : 2007
- Associate, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences(NAAS) : 2005
B) National and International Awards
- Young Scientist Award (Plant Protection Sciences) NAAS -1998
- ICAR Young Scientist Award (Crop Sciences) -1999
- Prof. Umakant Sinha Memorial Award in Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology, Indian Science Congress Association- 2001
- International Technology Award, World Technology Network(As a member of rice genome sequencing team) -2003
- DBT National Bioscience Award -2007
- NAAS Recognition Award -2008
- Most Admired Researcher Award (Human Genome Meeting at Bangalore organized by a professional society - 2008
- VASVIK Award in Agricultural Science and Technology -2011
- ICAR- Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Award for Outstanding contributions in Crop and Horticultural Sciences 2011
- Mundkur Memorial Lecture Award of Indian Phytopathological Society- 2012
- NASI – Reliance Industries Platinum Jubilee Awards for APPLICATION ORIENTED INNOVATIONS for the year 2013 in Biological Sciences (2013)
- JC Bose National Fellow, Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (2013)
- Prof MGK Menon Lecture Award (NASI) 2016.
- Prof. Bishan Singh Samundari Memorial lecture award (Guru Nanak Dev University Amritsar) -2017-18
- Prof. K.S. Bilgrami Memorial Medal (INSA)-2018
- Recipient of Post-Doctoral- Fellowship of the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada 1995-96.
- Awarded Biotechnology Overseas Associateship of Govt. of India (1993 - 94)
- Recipient of Dr. K.S. Krishnan Research Fellowship (BARC) from April,1988 to April,1991
- Holder of University Merit Scholarship during Ph.D.(January to March,1988)
- ICAR Junior Fellowship during M.Sc. (1985-87)
- Recipient of National Merit Scholarship during B.Sc. (1980-85)